Homemade Chex Mix is super easy to make at home, and since you can tailor the add-ins and seasonings to your preferences, we think it tastes better than store-bought.
I have been making this for years for family get-togethers and for at-home snacks. Especially during the holidays and on the weekends for football Sunday!
I have included a basic version as well as the sweet and spicy alternative we prefer to use. Adjust seasoning measurements to your preference. I often season it differently based on what I have on hand.
- ¼ cup (1 stick) butter (salted or unsalted, your preference)
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar (optional for sweet/spicy version)
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional for sweet/spicy version)
- 2 cups corn cereal
- 2 cups rice cereal
- 1 cups pretzels (mini twists or sticks)
- 1-2 cups cheese snack crackers
- 1 cups peanuts or mixed nuts
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe dish for 45-60 seconds or until melted.
- Whisk Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and any of the optional sweet/spicy ingredients into melted butter.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large microwave-safe dish.
- Pour melted butter mixture over top and mix well until thoroughly coated.
- Cook the mixture using your preferred method listed below.
- Spread the cooked mix out onto a baking sheet with a rim to cool.
- Microwave: Microwave uncovered for 4-6 minutes or until mixture has begun to dry, stirring every 2 minutes
- Oven: Bake at 400 degrees for ?? minutes or until mixture has begun to dry, stirring every 5 minutes
- Roaster: Same as Oven
- Air Fryer: 400 degrees for 3 minutes. Shake the basket and cook another 2 minutes. For optimal cooking, you don't want to cook more than about 2-3 cups of mix at a time.
Due to differences in air fryers and personal preference, your mix might be finished cooking after 3-4 minutes, or if you like it crunchier (like me!), continue cooking 2-3 minutes longer.
Products I Use for My Easy Homemade Chex Mix
- Micro Pitcher 2 pc Set
- Thatsa Bowl (The Mega works great for making large batches of this as well as other recipes.)
- Silicone Spatula
- TupperWave Stack Cooker
- UltraPro Roasting Pan
- Roaster Oven
- Silicone Baking Sheet with Rim
Leave a Reply