Tamale pie is one of my childhood favorites, and I really don’t make it enough considering how cheap and easy it is to put together. It uses a bag of Doritos. I just use some kind of cheese flavor. Back before they had so many choices, I used the regular cheese kind. However, now they have so many varieties, I often choose a Mexican type. Whichever I’m in the mood for that day. If you like spicy, the Spicy Nacho is great in it!
I grew up having corn in it and usually use corn and I’ve included corn in the recipe, but I’ve often used green beans instead when I don’t have corn available.
I usually cook it in a large pot on the stove, but I’ve also used an electric skillet, and just recently, an Instant Pot on saute mode. I’m thinking about trying it in a slow cooker as well. I’ll update this post if/when I do.
- 1 pound of ground meat
- 1 large jar of salsa and/or can of diced tomatoes, Mexican flavor
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 1 large can of sliced olives
- 1 bag of Doritos, crushed (any cheese flavor you like)
- shredded cheese
- In a large pot, brown the ground meat (I usually use hamburger, but you can use whatever you prefer).
- Add jar of salsa and/or diced tomatoes, frozen corn, and olives.
- Bring to boil and add bag of crushed Doritos
- Stir well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Turn down to simmer and cover.
- Let rest for 20 minutes or until the Doritos are no longer crunchy.
- Serve with sour cream and enjoy!