I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that, at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission on. Read my full disclosure here.
Tamale pie is one of my childhood favorites, and I really don’t make it enough considering how cheap and easy it is to put together. It uses a bag of Doritos. I just use some kind of cheese flavor. Back before they had so many choices, I used the regular cheese kind. However, now they have so many varieties, I often choose a Mexican type. Whichever I’m in the mood for that day. If you like spicy, the Spicy Nacho is great in it!
I grew up having corn in it and usually use corn and I’ve included corn in the recipe, but I’ve often used green beans instead when I don’t have corn available.
I usually cook it in a large pot on the stove, but I’ve also used an electric skillet, and just recently, an Instant Pot on saute mode. I’m thinking about trying it in a slow cooker as well. I’ll update this post if/when I do.
- 1 pound of ground meat
- 1 large jar of salsa or can of diced tomatoes, Mexican flavor
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 1 large can of sliced olives
- 1 bag of Doritos (any cheese flavor you like)
- shredded cheese
- In a large pot, brown the ground meat (I usually use hamburger, but you can use whatever you prefer).
- Add jar of salsa or diced tomatoes, frozen corn, and olives.
- Bring to boil and add a bag of Doritos
- Stir well.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Turn down to simmer and cover.
- Let rest for 20 minutes or until the Doritos are no longer crunchy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sounds yummy! I have only made tamale pie once, but would love to make it again.
Sounds like a fun contest!
Stefani´s last blog post ..Timmy Time: Hide And Seek – DVD Review and Giveaway
Shannon Smith says
I love making Tamale Pie. It is so easy making it this way.
This sounds great!
Shannon Smith says
Thanks, Andrea! It is great. I credit this recipe for the reason my kid finally likes olives. LOL